Frankly, I doubted for a very long time whether to write this article, because it is very different from what we are all used to reading on the topic of Internet marketing and, most likely, will cause a lot of skepticism. This is not a guide, no case, no discussion of the latest SEO trends. This is a small study (supported by statistics) on how the phase of the moon affects the number of leads from our site (and does it even affect you at all?).
I want to warn you right away: I am not fond of astrology, I do not believe in horoscopes, leap years, black cats, etc. But I am very fond of internet marketing and constantly looking for new ways to increase the number of potential customers. That is what prompted me to write this article. Perhaps, it will seem to someone a nonsense, but for someone it will be the reason for their own research. In any case, I do not impose anything on anyone, just share my observations and thoughts.
Where did the idea come from
I have been working as a marketer in our company for quite a long time and noted for myself one interesting pattern - about once a month, we consistently have a strong surge of leads that defies any explanation. The guys from the sales department come up to me and ask: “Zhen, what did you do there in the marketing department? Lida just flow like water!”. I recall our recent actions, study statistics and understand that we didn’t do anything special. Normal measured work, but the number of leads per day just rolls over!
In confirmation of what has been said, here is a screenshot of my recent dialogue with Olga Bezmaternykh, our sales manager:
When I began to think about what this might be connected with, I got a crazy thought: what if these people are affected by the phase of the moon? After all, there is such an opinion that starting important things is best with a growing Moon, and website promotion is clearly such a thing. In general, I decided to test this theory: first I looked at what the astrological sites write, then I googled scientific studies that were conducted on this topic, and then I studied our own statistics. What conclusions did I come to? Read below.
Before moving on to the main facts, some background information.
The moon itself does not glow, it reflects the sunlight falling on it. It can be fully illuminated, partially or completely disappear from the sky. Such a change in the illumination states of the moon is called the lunar phases. There are only four main phases, and each of them lasts for about 7 days:
- Moon "spring" - from the New Moon to the first quarter
- Lunar "summer" - from the first quarter to the full moon
- Moonlight "Autumn" - from the Full Moon to the Last Quarter
- Lunar "winter" - from the last quarter to the New Moon
There are other classifications. For example, most astrological sites, as well as Wikipedia, distinguish 8 moon phases. Other resources - only 2: the growing Moon and decreasing. But I like most of all the division into 4 phases and their comparison with the seasons, because, in my opinion, it best conveys the essence.
In the spring and summer we feel more vigorous and energetic, we want to create, travel and receive new emotions, and in the fall and winter we fall into a "hibernation". The same thing happens during the lunar cycle: the first two weeks we feel a surge of strength, and the second two weeks - a decline. This is speaking briefly.
And now let's see what description astrologers give to the Moon phases.
How phases of the moon affect a person (in terms of astrology)
When writing this article, I studied a huge number of astrological sites, and they all say about the same thing:
- New moon. On this day, there is a decline in physical activity. The person feels tired, lethargic and exhausted. Often there is a mental disorder (bad mood, depression, aggravation of phobias, etc.). Astrologers recommend at this time to engage in the creation of plans for the future, and their implementation is postponed until the rising moon.
- Waxing Crescent. During this period, the active replenishment of the energy resource begins. A person becomes more active, energetic and more successful in business. All undertakings undertaken at this time are given easily and, as a rule, bring good results. This is especially true of business.
- Full moon. On this day, our body actively consumes the forces accumulated during the rising moon. Insomnia, irritability and emotionality may occur. At this time, the largest number of road accidents, accidents and disasters happens.
- Waning moon. During this period, the vitality of the organism decreases, the person becomes less active, gets tired more quickly, and his reactions slow down, so during this period, you should deal with established, not requiring special efforts affairs. Well plan the final stages of various projects.
Conclusion. In the New Moon and Full Moon it is better not to do anything important, because these days there is a very strong influence on the mental and physical state of a person. In the period of the growing moon, it is best to start new projects, and in the period of the decreasing one, to complete the old ones.
Does the moon really affect humans?
Despite the fact that astrologers do not have the slightest doubt that the moon has an impact on a person, from a scientific point of view so far nothing has been proven. There are quite a few studies, but they all either contradict each other or have insufficiently serious evidence base. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that at this point in time both points of view have the right to life.
- The gravitational force of the moon affects the amount of precipitation on Earth, air temperature and atmospheric pressure, and these parameters in turn affect the human body. A change in humidity, for example, affects brain activity, and a change in atmospheric pressure affects a person’s physical condition. Source - a study of scientists from the University of Washington.
- The behavior of zooplankton clearly correlates with the phases of the moon, even though it dwells at a depth inaccessible to moonlight. The source is research by experts from the Royal Netherlands Institute for Marine Research.
- Phases of the moon affect a person’s sleep. For example, on a Full Moon, a person’s sleep is shortened by an average of 20 minutes. The source is a study by scientists from Switzerland.
- Specialists at Macquarie Securities studied the dynamics of the 32 major stock market indices since 1988 and found that the maximum return on investment falls on the changeover period of the lunar month.
- Law enforcement agencies of Sussex County conducted a study, during which they found out that the crime rate in the county increases on the days of the payment of salaries and on the Full Moon.
- Employees of the Bradford Royal Isolator analyzed data on patients received with bites for the years 1997-1999 and found out that at Full Moon the probability of being bitten is almost twice as high as usual.
- A group led by Professor Sivakov examined the results of the performance of the Russian biathlon team at the World Cup in 2001-2004. and found that the phases of the moon affect the work of the neuromuscular and neuroendocrine systems. The highest rates of athletes were demonstrated after the New Moon.
- An international team of scientists conducted a large study and concluded that the phases of the moon do not affect people's behavior.
- Scientists from the University of Saskatchewan published 15 scientific papers and analyzed many hundreds of studies by other authors, but did not find any reliable evidence that the Moon affects the behavior of people and animals.
- Simon Chapman from the University of Sydney analyzed data on the income of the bitten to hospitals in Australia during the year and did not find such a correlation. Moreover, he found out that in the nights of the Full Moon the number of bites was even lower than the average, and the peak of the bites was during the New Year holidays.
- Canadian scientists have studied the data on the phases of the natural satellite of the Earth and the number of patients who at various times got to the clinic with mental disorders. Despite the widespread belief that the risk of psychological disorders increases in the Full Moon, this phenomenon was not recorded.
People believe it!
Despite the fact that none of the studies provide irrefutable evidence that the moon has an impact on humans, a huge number of people believe in it. Surely you have friends who plant plants in accordance with the Lunar cycle, cut their hair, lose weight and even try to get pregnant. Well, if among your surroundings there are people who work in an ambulance or the police, then I can bet you have heard stories from them about the fact that at Full Moon is the biggest blockage at work and that it is better to stay at home during this shift.
What is there to say! While writing this article, I occasionally went to Facebook to take a break and scroll through the news feed, and several times I accidentally came across messages from users who believe that the growing Moon has a positive effect on their undertakings:
Well, now let's look at the statistics - how many people are looking for information about the Lunar cycle in Yandex:
If you look at the total number of searches related to the influence of the Moon on a person’s life (at least only on Yandex, without Google), it becomes clear - A LOT of people believe that the Moon influences them, and plan their activities in accordance with the lunar cycle. Therefore, even if you yourself are not one of them, try to use this knowledge for your own purposes - it is quite possible that among your potential customers there are those who will never order your product or service without first checking the Lunar calendar. And all your super-profitable shares will not bring results if you run them on a waning moon - in a period when it is better not to start any important business, otherwise they will turn into a failure. Naturally, here we are talking about expensive services or those that are of particular importance to your users.
From theory to practice: does the phase of the moon affect the number of leads from our site
In order to determine whether the Moon has any influence on the number of leads from our site, I collected statistics for the last year and a half. As leads I considered all users who:
- ordered our services using forms on the website or in any other way
- interested in our services: cost, terms of execution, etc.
- searched / ordered services that we do not provide
I deliberately did not use automation services in order for the statistics to be as accurate as possible: so that duplicate requests from the same people, fake orders with non-existent numbers, non-targeted requests, etc. are not taken into account.
The number of leads in the graphs below is presented as a percentage. The yellow square marks the day of the New Moon, the yellow line marks the days of the rising moon. The first day after the end of the yellow line is the Full Moon, the rest is the days of the waning Moon.
Friday, January 30
10 day of the rising moon
February 2, Monday
13 day of the growing moon
March 3, Tuesday
12 day of the rising moon
April 20, Monday
2 day of the rising moon
May 20, Wednesday
2 day of the rising moon
Monday, June 22
6 day of the rising moon
July 13, Monday
12 day of the waning moon
August 18, Tuesday
4 day of the rising moon
August 25, Tuesday
11 day of the growing moon
September 9, Wednesday
11 day of the waning moon
September 28, Monday
October 16, Friday
3 day of the rising moon
November 9, Monday
13 day of the waning moon
December 11, Friday
January 26, Tuesday
2 day of the waning moon
February 15, Monday
7 day of the growing moon
March 10, Thursday
1 day of the rising moon
April 25, Monday
3 day of the waning moon
May 25, Wednesday
3 day of the waning moon
Monday June 6th
1 day of the rising moon
On the graphs above, I highlighted the days on which the largest number of applications arrived. For 1.5 years of such days there were 20. 12 of them (60%) fell on the growing Moon, 6 days (30%) - on a decreasing one. 1 splash of leads (5%) occurred on the Full Moon and 1 (5%) on the New Moon.
On the days of the week it was distributed as follows:
- Monday - 9
- Tuesday - 4
- Wednesday - 3
- Friday - 3
- Thursday - 1
The total number of applications on the growing Moon (here I also referred the day of the New Moon) exceeded the number of applications on the waning Moon (plus the Full Moon day) by only 5.2%.
No matter how hard I wanted to believe that the Moon has a connection with the number of leads in our company, this study of this fact does not confirm: I did not manage to identify any clear pattern. Yes, most of the highest peaks fall on the growing moon, but this, alas, does not prove anything: there is too little data to draw any definite conclusions. The only thing that can be said for sure is that the largest number of applications comes to us at the beginning of the week, especially on Mondays. But in order to come to this conclusion, there is no need to carry out any analysis - people tend to start all important business on Monday, and our sales managers have long confirmed this fact in their own practice.
Here is a study happened. It is a pity that ambiguous results have come out, but so far, unfortunately, there is no possibility to carry out a larger work. Perhaps in a few years I will return to this article and again conduct an analysis, but for now I propose to discuss the data that we have.
Do you think the moon influences human behavior? Do you feel this influence on yourself? Looking periodically in the lunar calendar? Write at least a couple of lines in the comments. To me highly I wonder what you think about this.
Well, if there is no time, then at least check in the survey. I will be very grateful :)