Almost every site owner tried to promote it independently. It's not that hard if you choose the right strategy and avoid mistakes. Below you will find a list of typical SEO errors that reduce the effectiveness of resource promotion.
Errors while creating content
1. Duplication of content. This is usually due to the technical features of the CMS. For example, the same content may appear on the publication page, category and label pages. This problem is solved by canonizing the URL and prohibiting indexing of the service sections of the site.
2. Content theft. If you fill the site exclusively with other people's publications, then violate the requirements of search engines.
3. The publication of poor quality content. If you rely on the uniqueness of other people's publications, create content with no added value, offer irrelevant materials to the audience, this negatively affects the resource performance metrics.
4. Re-optimization of content. Coping texts with keywords threatens your resource with sanctions.
5. Ignoring different types of content. Users and search engines welcome sites filled with good texts, unique and high-quality images, infographics, video infographics and other types of content.
6. Unreadability of content. Users will not begin to break down the heaps of bricks on your site, and search engines will notice their dissatisfaction and will deprive the traffic resource.
7. Cannibalize keywords. If you specifically use the same "keywords" on each page of the site, wait for sanctions.
8. Creating different pages for very close in the meaning of keywords. Users who type in the search box "buy PVC windows" and "order PVC windows" have the same intentions. They do not need different landing pages.
9. Irregular website update. If you do not publish new useful materials for the audience, the relevance of your resource drops daily. Search engines take this into account.
10. Use of service pages as landing. For example, bloggers often try to optimize category pages: buy links to them, create footcloths with SEO text. Search engines regard this as a manipulation, since in most cases category pages are not interesting to users. Exceptions can be considered sites of online stores and large content projects. In these cases, users can actually start surfing from category pages.
11. Absence metadata: title, description, keywords, robots. They are necessary for people and search robots.
12. Lack of adaptation for mobile traffic. Search engines deprive visitors of resources that are inconvenient to view on smartphones and tablets.
13. Low download speed site. Owners of stationary and mobile PCs love when the resource loads quickly.
14. Missing attribute alt in tag img. Text description facilitates the indexing of images, as well as displayed on the screen instead of the picture, if the user saves traffic.
15. Focusing on high-frequency keywords. Today it is more efficient to work with a wide semantic core.
16. Lack of user friendly error page. Publish on page 404 an offer to return to the main page, as well as a search form.
17. Insufficient attention to content creation and excessive attention to technical SEO. It is better to create and publish a new note than to endlessly poking around in the code, install unnecessary plugins and try to manipulate the output.
18. Website creation on Flash without HTML versions. This approach will not appeal to mobile users and search robots.
19. Lack of optimization for local search. This primarily concerns the sites of organizations working offline.
20. Using too "heavy" images. High-resolution photos look great on desktops. However, mobile users will not be happy. Also dissatisfied will remain visitors who do not have access to high-speed Internet.
21. Using splash pages. They do not need users, so search engines do not like them.
Link building errors
22. Buying links on stock exchanges. This is one of the most reliable ways to obtain search engine sanctions.
23. Automatic or manual registration of the site in directories. Search engines consider the appearance of dozens of backlinks from directories to be a sign of manipulation.
24. Automatic or manual posting on forums to get links. This link building method is hopelessly outdated.
25. Commenting dofollow blogs. If you leave a few comments at different sites, nothing terrible will happen. However, you cannot count on increasing the credibility of your site. If you leave hundreds of comments in the style of "author zhot", your site may receive sanctions.
26. Footer links sites. If you develop websites, provide Internet marketing services, your partners will often refer to you. Search engines normally refer to such links. If you sell auto parts or write about finance, the appearance of a large number of links from footers to your site looks suspicious. If links from footers are not closed with the nofollow attribute and have anchors with keywords, you can get sanctions.
27. Guest Posting. Google honorary engineer Matt Cutts does not welcome the use of this tool for the sake of getting links. But you can post guest notes for other purposes.
28. Press releases. Google has included links in press releases to backlink sharing schemes. However, you can publish press releases and not receive sanctions.
29. Lack of relevant outbound links. Do not be afraid to put open for indexing links to reputable sources. Natural link building is a two-way street.
30. Abuse of links with optimized anchors. If search engines see a lot of links to your site with anchors like "order site promotion cheap", wait for sanctions.
31. Abuse of bezankornymi links or links to non-informative anchors. This item applies to both external and internal links.
32. Use uncomfortable for a person URL. Find out what is CNC.
33. The presence on the site of broken links. Periodically check the resource for this problem. Use the Free Link Checker or similar tool.
34. Sale of links from the site. Search engines punish both buyers and sellers.
35. Wrong file filling robots.txt. If you do not want to close any pages or sections of the site from indexing, just do not fill out this file.
36. Prohibit site indexing in the administrative console CMS. Sometimes resource owners temporarily prohibit indexing, and then forget to lift the ban.
37. Lack of a site map. Without it, search engines can index the site incorrectly.
38. Misuse of the tag noindex. Site owners usually use it to prohibit the indexing of widgets, counters, outgoing links. All content published between tags and remains unavailable for search robots.
See also: Future SEO (presentation)
39. Using Attributes none and noindex in meta tag robots. These attributes prohibit page indexing by search engines.
40. No links to a new site or page. If you have recently created a site, make sure that several other resources link to it. Register the site in the Liveinternet.ru ranking, announce the appearance of the resource in social networks. If you have created a new section or page on an existing site, make sure that internal links, including navigation elements, lead to it.
41. Absence or incorrect use of redirects. For example, site owners often use the 302 redirect instead of 301. This problem is misleading for search robots.
42. Invalid error message handling. If the user navigates to a non-existent address, the site must return the 404 code and redirect the visitor to the error page.
43. Use multiple level headers H1 on the page. This is misleading search engines.
44. Ignoring SEO when changing design. Updating the site may result in the loss of important data.
Ignoring user interests
45. Excessive number of ad units, banners or links. Do not publish more than three blocks on the page.
46. Disguise advertising under site content. You may suffer twice. First, contextual advertising systems will deprive you of payments. Secondly, search engines will lower the site in issue.
47. Publish invisible to user content. This manipulative technique threatens you with sanctions.
48. Attracting untargeted traffic. If your site is dedicated to Forex trading, you do not need visitors who are looking for the best conditions for foreign currency deposits.
49. Insufficient functionality and unsatisfactory usability of the site. The user should be able to solve their tasks without thinking about ways to get to the right section or fill out a form.
50. The pursuit of "puzomerkami." If the site owner thinks not about user satisfaction, but about the values of CYP and PageRank, he fell into the trap of "old school" SEO.
Incorrect work with tools for webmasters and analytics systems
51. Incorrectly installed code. The code of analytics services is set between the tags and. Make sure you add the actual code.
52. Incorrect assessment of the bounce rate. Google Analytics rejects failure if a user has viewed only one page of the site. This indicator needs to be clarified.
53. Focusing on metrics, not user interests. The Yandex.Metrica and Google Analytics reports need to be analyzed in the context of the site’s marketing effectiveness.
54. Invalid selection of promotion performance indicators. If you have recently created a website, you only need to follow the basic indicators of the effectiveness of a marketing campaign.
55. Cheating behavioral metrics. This is a good way to get sanctions.
Wrong expectations from working with social networks
56. Attempts to influence the position of the site by using reposts and likes on Facebook. Links from the largest social network in the world do not affect the issue.
57. Publication of links for the sake of influence on the authority of the site. By announcing content on social networks, you can drive traffic. If social links affect the credibility of a resource from the point of view of search engines, then this influence is minimal.
58. Ignoring social networks. The presence of sharing buttons, social plug-ins for commenting and authorization makes the site more convenient. Announcements in social networks increase traffic to the resource.
See also: "Magic Gate" SEO closed
Bonus: a major SEO error
It is the wrong choice of strategy to promote projects. If you want to drive traffic by manipulating the issue, expect trouble. You can become a master manipulator, but search engines will always be at least one step ahead of you.
If you attract traffic, caring about the interests of the user, success will not take long. Of course, you will make technical mistakes. However, choosing the right strategy will help you quickly eliminate inaccuracies and develop the project.Need a competent SEO website optimization? Contact us! 58-samykh-rasprostranennykh-oshibok-seo